I previously published a list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites I’d visited here. I believe I have ticked a few more off the list since, so thought I’d update my list!
A World Heritage Site is described as:
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) seeks to encourage the identification, protection and preservation of cultural and natural heritage around the world considered to be of outstanding value to humanity. This is embodied in an international treaty called the Convention concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage , adopted by UNESCO in 1972.
To become a World Heritage, the site must be of outstanding universal value and meet one of 10 criterion.
My updated list (in country alphabetical order):
- Great Barrier Reef (Australia)
- Wet Tropics of Queensland (Australia)
- Fraser Island (Australia)
- Greater Blue Mountains Area (Australia)
- Sydney Opera House (Australia)
- Historical complex of Split with the Palace of Diocletian (Croatia)
- Paris, Banks of the Seine (France)
- Bordeaux, Port of the Moon (France)
- Historic Centre of Rome, the Properties of the Holy See in that City Enjoying Extraterritorial Rights and San Paolo Fuori le Mura (Holy See)
- Vatican City (Holy See)
- Budapest, including the Banks of the Danube, the Buda Castle Quarter and Andrássy Avenue (Hungary)
- Historic Centre of Rome, the Properties of the Holy See in that City Enjoying Extraterritorial Rights and San Paolo Fuori le Mura (Italy)
- Historic centre of Florence (Italy)
- Piazza del Duomo, Pisa (Italy)
- Venice and it’s lagoon (Italy)
- Historic centre of Naples (Italy)
- Historic centre of Siena (Italy)
- Archaeological Areas of Pompei, Herculaneum and Torre Annunziata (Italy)
- Palace of Westminster and Westminster Abbey including Saint Margaret’s Church (UK)
- Tower of London (UK)
- Old and new towns of Edinburgh (UK)
- Derwent Valley Mills (UK)
- Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape (UK)
- Everglades National Park (USA)
- Grand Canyon National Park (USA)
- Statue of Liberty (USA)
- Yosemite National Park (USA)
How many World Heritage sites have you visited? Which are your favourites?